Photobiomodulation therapy (PBMT), also known as low level laser therapy, is a ground-breaking treatment tool that utilises the power of infrared light to alleviate pain, stimulate the healing process and get you back on your feet quicker!
How Does it Work
It is a non-invasive and drug-free treatment that employs low-level laser or light-emitting diode (LED) devices to stimulate cellular activity and promote tissue repair.
The light emits specific wavelengths that are absorbed by cellular photoreceptors and result in the cells becoming more active and energised, leading to various beneficial cellular responses such as:
- Increased ATP Production: Provides cells with more energy to perform their functions efficiently, such as healing
- Improved Blood Flow: Enhances blood circulation, reducing inflammation
- Reduction in Inflammation: Provides modulation of the inflammatory response, helping to manage both acute and chronic cases
- Accelerated Tissue Repair: Increases cellular metabolism and as a result, speeds up the healing process of a range of both musculoskeletal and neuromuscular pathologies
Benefits within Podiatry
- Analgesic: PBMT has demonstrated efficacy in reducing pain associated with various foot and ankle conditions, including plantar fasciitis, arthritis, and neuropathy
- Bio Stimulating: Post-surgery or injury, PBMT can significantly expedite the healing process, allowing patients to resume their daily activities sooner. This is
- Reduced Inflammation: Chronic inflammatory conditions like tendinitis and bursitis can be managed more effectively with PBMT, providing relief to patients via increasing the caliper and modulation of lymphatic and capillary
- Non-Invasive: PBMT is a non-surgical and non-pharmaceutical approach, making it a safe and well-tolerated option for many patients
- Minimal Side Effects: Unlike some medications or invasive procedures, PBMT typically has minimal to no side effects, enhancing its appeal to those seeking a less invasive treatment option.
- Improved Quality of Life: By reducing pain and promoting faster healing, PBMT can improve patients' overall quality of life by allowing them to remain active and pain-free.
Conditions Suitable for Low Level Laser Therapy
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Ankle sprains
- Non-healing fractures
- Posterior tibial tendon pain
- Chemo-induced and idiopathic neuropathy
- Chronic nerve irritations
- Lymphoedema and chronic swelling
- Post-surgical pain and swelling