Shockwave therapy, also known as Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (EWST), is an effective, safe and non-invasive evidence based treatment used for long-standing (chronic) musculoskeletal pain and injuries.
How Does it Work?
Shockwave therapy (ESWT) is a cutting-edge medical technology that uses high energy acoustic soundwaves to stimulate the natural healing process of the body. This therapy was initially developed to treat kidney stones and has since found its way into various medical disciplines, including podiatry.
Targeted Tissue Regeneration: The acoustic shockwaves break down thickened, calcified, and fibrous tissue which facilitates faster removal of damaged tissue and restores function and mobility. It produces tissue regeneration by increasing blood flow, growth factors and stem cell production to the area targeted, all of which are essential for proper healing but are often inhibited in chronic injuries.
Immediate Pain Relief: Shockwave therapy depletes your nerves of “Substance-P”, which is generally chronically elevated in long-standing conditions and results in the pain sensation. By doing so, it provides immediate pain relief and lowers the level of ‘substance-P’ in the affected area long-term. Many patients report an immediate ‘numbing sensation’ that can last days and drop pain scores from 7/10 right down to 0/10.
Benefits within Podiatry
- Non-Invasive: ESWT is a non-surgical, non-invasive procedure. Patients can often return to their daily activities immediately after the treatment
- Minimal Side Effects: Unlike other interventions, ESWT typically has minimal side effects, such as mild bruising or possible discomfort
- Instant Analgesia: ESWT treatment provides immediate relief from the pain you are suffering from due to its ability to disrupt our body's pain response
- Combination Therapy: ESWT can be used in combination with other conservative treatment modalities to increase your rate of healing alongside reducing the strain on impact areas and increasing your own body's ability to take that strain. This all results in a higher success rate for chronic conditions.
We have the most effective unit on the market backed by more high-level clinical studies than any other ESWT device available.
The time it takes varies between patients based on their condition, symptoms, and severity. However, majority of conditions are treated within 3-6 weeks at weekly intervals. Typically, the treatment takes 5-15 minutes depending on the area being treated and results can be felt immediately afterwards.
Conditions Suitable for Shockwave Therapy
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Non-healing fractures
- Osteoarthritis of the hip, knees, ankles and feet
- Shin splints
- Hip bursitis
- Chronic nerve irritations
- Slow healing wounds